Community organizations rally to provide COVID-19 testing to underserved Detroit neighborhoods
The Detroit Association of Black Organizations (DABO) is offering more dates and locations for free testing of COVID-19 in its ongoing battle to thwart the spread of the highly contagious and deadly coronavirus.
The free testing effort is part of a community coalition that was first launched at the end of April.
“I recovered from COVID-19 and I made it my mission to help others get tested and know their status,” said DABO Executive Director, Rev. Horace Sheffield, III. “Unfortunately, access to testing in our community has been little to none. That’s why DABO, Premiere Quality Health Center and Platform Healthcare Solutions have partnered to provide our friends and family access to COVID-19 testing.”
Premiere Quality Health Center will be administering the test on-site. While Platform Healthcare Solutions, a CLIA certified lab, will provide laboratory testing services.
Registration prior to the testing date is required. However, a prior visit to a healthcare provider isn’t necessary. Registration can be done by calling (313) 706-2750 or (313) 923-1655. Individuals can also register via email at email@example.com.
“As a community-based educational institution, and one with a history of preparing legions of health care professionals to respond to underserved populations, we are pleased to provide access, during this pandemic, to testing at our campuses to those proven to be most at risk,” said Wayne County Community College District (WCCCD) chancellor, Dr. Curtis Ivery.
The upcoming testing dates and locations are:
- Saturday, May 16,10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Wayne County Community College District (WCCCD) – Northwest Detroit Campus, 8200 W. Outer Drive, Detroit.
- Sunday, May 17, 12 noon – 4 p.m. at The Sheffield Center Complex, 12048 Grand River, Detroit.
- Saturday, May 23, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Wayne County Community College District (WCCCD) – Eastern Campus, 5901 Connor, Detroit.
- Sunday, May 24, 12 noon – 4 p.m. at The Sheffield Center Complex, 12048 Grand River, Detroit.
- Saturday, May 30, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at The Sheffield Center Complex, 12048 Grand River, Detroit.
- Sunday, May 31, 12 noon – 4 p.m. at The Sheffield Center Complex, 12048 Grand River, Detroit.
Sponsors of the initiative include: Comerica Bank, United Auto Workers (UAW), DTE Energy, CLASS Agency, Disability Network Wayne County Detroit, Neighborhood Service Organization, Wayne County Community College District, The Renaissance Chapter of Links Incorporated, Massive Lifestyles Entertainment and DMC Sinai Grace Hospital.